2009年2月11日水曜日

Reading Reaction Journal #2-Shame over poor English level lies with education minisrty

Dezaki, M. (2009, January 20). Shame over poor English level lies with education ministry. The Japan Times. Retrieved on February 4, 2009, from http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20090120hn.html


In this article, Japanese people often are shamed about being unable to speak English, but it is caused by the Education Ministry. First, the origin of the problem is the Japanese education system. Although students have opportunities to speak English in a class, they cannot focus on it because of the important entrance examination. Then, people who are working in the ministry do not recognize what students require and helpful to improve their English skill at schools. They don’t know what citizens want students to be taught. Furthermore, people have no hope for the ministry and their own future because they know that they cannot change the bad systems. To sum up, it is not Japanese citizen’s failure that they cannot speak English, even though they learned it for many years.


I agree with the author’s opinion for many reasons. First, I actually faced the hard entrance examination, and I also focused, not on listening and speaking, but on what is important for the next exam or entrance exam. At that time, I had no question about it because everyone did it the same way, and if I focused on listening and speaking, I would lose and I could not get my career. However, I considered again, and I noticed that it was a waste of time, because I had a good opportunity to speak English with native speakers, but I didn’t pay attention to them. I couldn’t speak English, even though my major was English. I think it was not my fault, because I had an environment where I could learn how to speak English, and it was taught for a long time that all I have to do is to pass the entrance exam. It is the worst education system in Japan. When I go back to Japan, I would feel frustrate, so I want to change this system. If I become an English teacher, I want to break this system and I want to teach students that the entrance exam does not just define for your future. I hope this system is going to be changed and children can speak English.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Maiko,

    My name is Mikine Dezaki. I found your blog while running a search for my article. I enjoyed reading your reaction, and I hope we can talk more about this topic. I recently got a letter from a Japanese English teacher that I want to share with you because it seems like you may be in a similar situation when you come back to Japan:

    Hello Mikine,

    After having read your article, I felt ashamed of doing nothing.

    When I was a student, I hated Japanese education system,
    so I wanted to live in other country . My dream was to get out of Japan.

    I wanted to teach Japananese in foreign countries.
    But I needed a career of teaching in Japan, so I became a teacher in Japan.

    I felt ashamed when I say or hear that I studied English for many years, but can't
    speak.
    I also got a education here in Japan as well as other Japanese English teachers.
    I want to say thank you because I remembered what my dream is and what should I do.
    I'll try to do something about the education system. I want to say something to government.

    返信削除
  2. Hi Mr. Dezaki,


    I am so glad to receive your comment, and it was amazing that I could receive it from you.

    Actually, this is one of an assighment of ESL class, but I could learn a lot of educational problem what I should know for the future. I did not realized about this problem, but I cannot ignore it. I don't want future students to face the same way as I experienced.

    Also, the letter was interesting for me. I have no opportunities to listen oppinion of a real teacher.

    regards,

    Maiko

    返信削除